View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
... into a 30-45 MPH gusting head wind everything changed. I was fine at 55 - 60 MPH until a semi would pass me, then it was white knuckle city! NO FUN!
I've noticed this also. It's not the high wind so much as the bus/truck blocking it (or something) as it passes you. The high wind by itself or the bus/truck by itself is much less noticeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Also, I should add that my WDH was not set up optimaly for the Elkmont. I use a WDH with airbags, I was able to level the Elkmont, but the tail end of the Tundra was higher than normal. I'm not sure how much effect this had on the handling, but I'm sure it didn't help
With my Tacoma, it was necessary to completely eliminate the truck's front fender rise with the WDH to reduce sway. I actually ended putting extra weight on the front wheels with the WDH giving the rig a well "planted" feeling. Then there was only a bit of a nudge, especially under the conditions you described. Nothing too serious. But I can imagine that a whole day of it would be difficult.

With my F150, I've ditched the WDH completely and really can't notice any difference. There's little or no sway at all.

Maybe your airbags should only be used/inflated when hauling your cycle?
EDIT: Or am I mixing you up with RVCycleGuy?

And if you're hauling an empty trailer, I imagine the tongue weight is as low as it can get. Mine is ~580-620, depending, which probably helps a lot with sway.

And congrats on your new trailer. It will be good to have another Elkmont owner on the board.