View Single Post
Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 AM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Towing with a 4.9L straight six engine

Richard,
I tow a 3124KS with my 1993 Ford F-150, equipped with a 4.9 liter, straight 6 engine and automatic transmission. My truck has a rear axle ratio of 3.08. If I had to purchase another one, I'd go for one with a higher ratio rear axle, such as 3.55, with a higher towing capacity.

Nevertheless, my F-150 pulls the 3124KS almost effortlessly on flat highways - if I'm not careful, my speed will creep up to 70+. In the mountains and on long grades (such as our "Grapevine," leading up to a 4000 foot pass between Bakersfield and Los Angeles) I can easily maintain 45 to 50 MPH while the heavy haulers are going 20 to 25 MPH. On all except the flattest roads I usually disengage the overdrive. I tow with a Reese load-leveler hitch and have experienced no swaying at all. Our low-slung, 24 foot TM is a delight to tow - compared to smaller and shorter conventional trailers I've pulled in the past.

My truck's manual shows that manual transmission F-150s have a LOWER towing capacity than automatic transmission ones - 2,500 lb. less with manual transmission (3.08 rear axle ratio). Therefore, you should probably be looking around for an F-150 with an automatic transmission. Someone who is more knowledgeable about vehicle drive trains may be able to explain why this is so. :-*