View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
PopBeavers

We got our TM in March 2005. We have been to the following places, from San Jose.

Lake Nacimiento
Pinecrest Lake
Yuba Gap (I80 and Hiway 20)
Lake Almanor
Groveland (Yosemite)
Columbia
Morro Bay State Park

These don't quite fall into the 2 hour category, but they are close enough that if we leave the office by 3 pm Friday then I can have camp set up before dark.

Pinecrest Lake and Lake Nacimiento would be pretty good choices if you have kids that like the lake, because paddle boats etc. are available for rent.

Yosemite is, well, Yosemite. I can't add much to that. We stayed at a private rv park with full hookups off season and had a great time.

Columbia is a museum/ghost town that is pretty interesting to visit. marble quarry RV park is walking distance to the museum district.

Morro Bay state park would be really good for a golfer, because the golf course is adjacent to the campground. I don't golf, so I can not comment about the course.

If you just want to get away for the weekend to hang out away from home and enjoy some solitude I would suggest the following as being very close to us:

Grant Ranch, east side of San Jose. I hear it is really nice when the wild flowers are blooming. Also good for bike riding. Very popular for star gazers because it is behind the hill which obscures the city lights.

Big Basin State Park. Henry Cowell is just around the corner from it. Close to Santa Cruz. Take a hike to the waterfall.

Portola Park, just west of Stanford on the other side of skyline. Very dense redwood forest.

Pfeiffer Big Sur state park. We really like it around Christmas time because it is nearly empty. This time of year would require reservations. Plan on a dinner at Rocky Point Restaurant just south of Carmel. The cliff view of the ocean is gorgeous.

New Hogan resevoir east of Stockton is a nice lake. I was there in 1998 with a dozen teen agers and tents.

I have always wanted to go to Lake McClure, just south of Don Pedro. I haven't been there, yet.

There are probably a few nice places around Gurneville at the Russian River that are worth looking into. My aunt an uncle lived there from 1961 until recently so I have never camped there. Take a look at Armstrong Redwoods state park.

Bodega bay looks pretty nice. My brother lives in Petaluma, so I have little reason to go camping just a few miles from his house.