View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
PopBeavers

A lot depends on where you want to go.

California State Parks documents 30 feet as the maximum. When I have been to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park it looks like the depth is about 30 feet, but it is wide enough to park the TV alongside.

I also have backed the TM until the wheels hit the barrier at the back of the parking pad. But one time there was a tree so I would not have been able to open the rear shell. I had to park forward about 5 feet.

At Pinecrest Lake in California, a forest service campground, the twisty road to the campsites is so tight and the trees are so close to the road that with my 20 foot TV and the 20 foot TM 2720 I almost could not make it. A longer TM or a longer TV would have made it very difficult.

Remember, California's state parks are old. According to Wikipedia:

In 1902, California's oldest state park, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, was founded, followed by several others in the next couple decades. For a time, each park was managed by an independent commission or agency, until 1921.

Back in those days, everyone was a tent camper, so the parking pad did not have to be level or very long. Just long enough for the station wagon.

Castle Crags State Park lists max camper length of 27 feet and maximum trailer length of 21 feet. There are two loops with my 1500HD (20 feet) and TM 2720 I can only use one of the two loops, mostly because each loop is a two direction road that has a turn around at the end. Big rigs have too large of a turning radius.

This year I was boon docking. I was towing behind the 22 foot 2500HD long bed. The sorta dirt road I went down ran out. It was after 9 PM and I had to make a U-turn amongst the trees. I did not count, but it must have been at least an 18 point turn.

An Elkmont would have been too tall. I was scraping the roof on the truck on tree limbs and the truck is only a bit over 7 feet tall. I think the top of the a/c on the Elkmont is higher than that.

Like I tease my brother with his Montana 5th wheel, I don't like to go where he can go and he can not go where I like to go. We rarely camp together.