View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Just an idle thought. It seems to me that the hardest part of lifting the shells, at least on my two TMs, is the first 12 inches or so. Once the shell is up that far, the rest of the lift is easy to do by hand. Perhaps there is some way to install an electrically-powered jackscrew, much like a tongue jack. It would assist with the first part of the lift, then stop and let you take over. That has got to be a simpler mechanism than one that continues to operate all the way to the full-open position.

Padgett, you've thought a lot about this. What do you think? Cindy, would a partial lift work for you?

Bill
Bill, next time I open it (which will be soon since I'm planning a trip to Texas right after Thanksgiving), I'll see what the distance is that's difficult. I think it's more than 12 inches. I'm 6ft tall, and I know that where I struggle is when I've stood up straight after starting the lift. I'll have to check and see how far I've actually raised it at that point. And, I'm actually fairly strong, but I'm a bit worried about when I'm not as strong as I am now. I did get a friend to help me recently adjust the bolts on the torsion bars for the front shell. It was the first time they'd been adjusted and I think we ended up adjusting a full turn but it didn't seem to make that much difference to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote