View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Simon3xUD

Default Reserving campground sites

Hi all,

This past weekend, we took our new TM (now dubbed "The Chateau" ;D) on its second trip. The first was dry camping at a dog agility trial. This time we stayed at a campground with water and electric for another agility trial.

I had called ahead to reserve a site at this campground (Pine Cone Family Campground in Freehold, NJ) and told the gal I spoke with that I had a trailer that was 30 feet long when open.

When we got to the campground, we realized that it was going to be an "adventure". The directions we were given to our site proved to bring us in the wrong way for backing into our site so Janet had to drive around to come in the correct direction. Then, we found that the trees were so close to the road (which was only about 10 feet wide itself) and site that it was a long, drawn out process to get the trailer where it should be. Of course, it would have helped if Janet and I were speaking the same language when it came to giving her the information she needed to properly back the trailer :-[. After that, we quickly decided to unhitch and just take our TV (full-size conversion van) to the trial site the next day.

Then, we had our first real oops when leaving on Sunday morning...again, thanks to those close growing trees >. What looked like a small clump of leaves turned out to be a more substantial sapling which got hung up in a leveler jack as we were pulling out of hte site. The plate got all twisted and so did the scissors too...argh! At least it's bolted to the frame and so shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

Anyway, what could I have told the campground when making the reservation that would have ensured we were given a more suitable site? Sure wish they'd had some pull-through sites available! I know they are new owners and perhaps didn't know what to ask themselves. I'm thinking that in the future, I should just give campgrounds the full length of the TV and trailer (open) combined so we don't find ourselves in such tight spaces again. Will that work or is there a better way?

Thanks,