Thread: new trailer
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjan View Post
thanks for the info! very interesting .. if a little scarey.. we didn't experience any sway cept when trucks passed us.. our rig is set up very level tho.. so maybe that is helping. the trailer sales place put the wd hitch on for us but told us that single axle trailers don't require sway contol.. hahaha.. now i'm not so sure..hahaha.. but anyway we didn't experience any problems and we were pulling fully empty in a fairly heavy wind.. quartering at us from behind some.. quartering into us some.. and full out in our face the rest of the way..
btw.. i think the fj has 105.9 inch wheelbase.. lol.. every inch helps?? we're gonna pull it to the lake next week.. i'll pay more attention and keep my speed down too.

i really like my new lakehouse/mountaincabin/ trailer!!!
If you didn't have sway under those conditions, you should be OK. Just know that if you should happen to get sway at some time, just apply the brake lever on your brake controller to regain control, then slow down to keep control. Hitting the brakes on the TV may not be the best solution but it's better than nothing. Just don't slam on the TV brakes when swaying.

I was following a friend one time driving near Palm Springs in 40MPH wind gusts. His trailer started swaying so bad that it got the trailer and TV up on 2 wheels. Had he slammed on the brakes, it would have been all over. He tapped the brakes and brought the rig to a stop (to change underwear, I think ). He tightened up his sway controller and all was well. He was pulling a 30' TT, with a Nissan Armada. It had a WDH and sway controller.