View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

I wish my parents had bought a TM + a smaller house or park model trailer instead of an older class A, full-time use, for retirement. They live on the East Coast, parked in the drive of their old place, which my sister now owns, and we're in CO. My other siblings live in their state, one down south and one midwest. They only take their class A "home" to NC and back because of the expense of moving it.

So even though they specifically bought it and downsized in order to visit all their kids in it, they actually can't afford to do so. We pay for them to fly out instead. We are lucky to have been able to afford a roomy enough house to have spare rooms for them(and their small pup) to stay with us for a month at a time.

And now after almost 3 years of this shuffle, they've about had enough and would prefer everyone visited them. :/ Luckily, our family of five has a TM now. We can take the 3500 mile round trip on less than $1000, far less than plane tickets and car rental for our family of five, even if we are on the road 8 days and need to use up two weeks of vacation time. We took this trip without a TM last year and it cost almost $2K. Hotels are not cheap! And staying in someone elses' guest room(all five of us)and depending on them for every meal and being completely on their schedule isn't nearly as nice as having our own space, small though it may be.
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote