View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #22
Padgett
TrailManor Master

A good country mechanic can fix almost anything. If you know of someone with a 2922SD who wants to dump it cheap I have cash...

That said I had a vixen TD21 RV. This was a 21 foot class A with a turbo diesel you could drive anywhere. One set a record at over 100 mph. Was made in Pontiac Michigan by ex-GM engineers. Verified 30mpg at 55 mph (national speed limit).

Unfortunately it came out at the same time as Caddy and Buick diesels were littering the Interstates and destroyed the salability of passenger car diesels for a generation (Vixen had a BMW (524TD) also used by Ford. All had been cancelled by 1990. The Vixen Motor Coach company went bankrupt after building about 500 coaches and limousines.

In 2009 I paid $15k for mine at a time when Class As were going for pennies on the dollar. Sold it in 2014 for considerably more than I paid for it. Really nice ones are going for $25k-$30.

GMC motor coaches have a similar following.

What happened was the Vixen Owners Association arranged for the purchase of everything at the liquidation sale in 1989 and financed the move to Montana (personally think Central Florida would be a better place). Parts have always been available and the Vixen has become something of a cult vehicle.

Just saying I bought my 2720SL in early 2014 and suspect the current value is more than I have in it even with all of the electrical/mechanical tricking out.