Thread: Beware
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Al-n-Sue

I've watched this post since the beginning with interest, since I would like someday to upgrade to an Elkmont. And like others here I love my TM and think it is well made and the preponderance of evidence says that TM does well by their customers.

But there are two things I'd like to point out.

1. This site does not "belong" to TM. It is actually "owned" by a private individual (Chris) who used to own a TM but does no more. He puts in a lot of time on the site and deserves a lot of credit as well as the volunteer moderators who keep things in order. I'm sure some TM brass frequent here, but I suspect it is to get a sense of what customers think and how they can improve their product as opposed to looking for evidence against a customer. Don't know that for sure but it would seem logical. At any rate, it is linked from the TM site simply as a nod to the Trailblazers groups who do such a magnificant job of linking TM owners together. (someone who knows the history better might clarify this).

2. Because of the issues pointed out here (and not just this post) I visited with our local dealer at an RV show recently and asked about the problems - particularly leaks. He indicated that it seemed that the problems with the Elkmont would come in bunches - a few trailers would have problems and then a number would be problem free. May be related to adding new workers to the assembly line to meet orders or some other pressure of getting units out the door. Who knows. Elkmont is reportedly making up 22% of TM sales now. I'm sure TM is doing all they can to improve quality control with this popular unit.
He did say he had worked with one particularly problematic unit that came back 3 times for a leak. He finally essentially disassembled the unit and found a problem deeper and beyond where the symptoms indicated. It was fixed and the customer was satisfied and the company was notified about the problem.

I'll be interested in seeing the end result of this dispute and hope that curlyontop will be satisfied and will then love his TM like most of the rest of us do.

Alan