View Single Post
Old 07-20-2002, 02:13 AM   #3

Default Re: Looking for advice on TM purchase

new_tmer, I can also relate my personal experiences with our TM.  I have to closely echo the positive experience and comments of Chris Bauer.

I researched the TM for about 4 years before we took the plunge.  We moved up from a nice Jayco pop-up.  We chose to buy a new 2000 3023.  Our unit listed for about 25.5 and we got it for 22, out the door, including an optional warranty and Drawbar 550 Equalizing hitch system and wiring harness installed by the dealer.

We bought from an Ohio dealer, and they turned out to marginal in the service/support area.  TM has since dropped them.

The TM factory has been outstanding.  Our unit has been back there twice.  When we bought, I wanted the original top AC unit removed and the side AC unit installed (like is standard on the 2720's and smaller).  This height reduction would allow me to fully open the unit inside my garage.  The dealer transported the unit to TN and the factory made all the changes.  They did a great job.  Last fall, my unit returned to the factory again.  I had a minor "too close encounter" with a small tree and damaged the front side panel.  I wanted the factory to fix it since no one close had a clue about the unique TM laminated construction.  Being the picky engineer I am, I wanted it fixed right.  I drove the unit to TN, dropped it off, then returned a week later to pick it up.  Everything was fixed perfectly.  It's as good if not better then new, and they even corrected items they saw were not in first class condition that I has not even mentioned to them.  I got a great factory tour, met Donnie, Bill Davis, Bill Hulsey and all the Hulsey family.  A truly first rate experience.  A great company.

We too, love our TM.  Granted, they are not for everyone.  They are pricey and quirky and require a little more upkeep (keeping sides and all the many seals clean) but have many wonderful features.  Ours tows like a dream.  I've got about 5000 miles on it and have never had ANY handling problems whatsoever.  I even tow with a Chrysler FWD mini van with a 3.3 litre and 126K miles on it.  It handles the 3023 well.  It's not a setup for mountain driving, but for where we go and how we currently camp in the relatively flat northeast Ohio area, it works well for us.

This site is invaluable too.  I surely do appreciate all the efforts of the loyal followers in keeping it first class!

Good luck in your decision!

PS:  I also highly recommend getting involved with the TM Trail Blazers organization.  We've attended several rallys of our local branch and have found them very enjoyable.  Great, friendly, loyal people, lots of fun and a great opportunity to share experiences and ask questions of other owners.