View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #18
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstrail View Post
Thank you all. Hope to reach Custom RV first of week (think they were at a show this last weekend as no answer). We appreciate all the information and suggestions.
We are not giving up yet, but it is overwhelming at times. Thanks again, john & von
PS Zekespider: tried to read link about your experience, but would not give us access...??
I suspect you need to become a site sponsor to view it. It's well worth the cost. Here is a copy of that post.

This thread may apply to the 3326 only as it is the only TM with dual axle configuration.

My 2010 3326 (delivered in August of 2009) has been a joy to tow and camp in. The shake down trip of 220 miles was a pleasure as was a 1,700 mile trip to and from Petaluma, CA and a weekend trip to the Catalina Mountains in Tuscon.

The brakes have always worked correctly, but would occasionally feel a little "grabby" at slow speeds. Tire /wheel temperatures (TST tire monitor) always appeared normal (usually in the 95 degree area except in the late summer in Phoenix). The brake adjustment was checked OK at 210 miles and was due again in about 500 miles.

Last week, while heading to my local dealer (AZ Campers and Trailers) to have the heater exhaust system replaced, I noticed white smoke behind the TM. Upon examination, I found the TM front, right wheel locked up (not turning). By the time I drove to a safe place to jack up that side, the tire had worn through the belt and was going flat. Only then did my TST monitor tell me a problem existed.

AZ Campers and Trailers sent a field tech to my assistance. After checking for a possible electrical malfunction, he pulled the tire, then with great difficulty, the hub/drum. The drum was found to be 1/8th inch out of round and had probably locked-up the brake at my last traffic signal stop.

The work is not yet done (waiting for parts), but Dexter Axle is replacing the entire hub/drum/brake system on the front axle, right side and TM is supplying a new tire. All the work is being done under warranty. The real question is what happened?

The only answer so far is "stuff happens". I see, on other RV forums, that dual axle brake lock-up is an occasional discussion topic and warped drums are considered the cause. What is really clear is; on a dual axle trailer, a tire can be destroyed within just a few blocks of driving if a brake-locks up. And... it is very hard to detect that it is happening. By the time you see the smoke, it is too late.

It looks like I need a wheel rotation sensor as well as all the other bells and whistles. On the other hand, this probably will not happen again. Heh, heh heh.

Jerry

ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote