View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mark -

At that time, the standard location for the air conditioner was in a kitchen cabinet, venting out through the sidewall. The A/C was moved up to the roof several years later. In 1997 they used a standard household air conditioner, so even if you have to (or choose to) replace it, it is not expensive. There are a couple threads on this Board about how to do it, but I don't recall that it was hard.

I'm a bit hesitant about your 3300-pound-rated truck. The good news is that in 1997, the trailers were a good deal lighter than they are today (so was I!) The dry weight then was 2270 pounds - by 2012, it was up to 2673 pounds. With a dry weight of 2270 pounds, the loaded and ready-to-camp weight was probably around 2800 pounds, so you would be within your vehicle's limits. We have a few members who tow today's TMs with 3500-pound-rated vehicles, and they report that it works, especially if they load lightly. Depends a good deal on how you load, and whether you plan to tow in mountainous terrain.

The other weight-related item is the tires. In 1997, the 2619 had 13-inch wheels, which would not carry today's weight. Today, Goodyear offers an ST185/80R13 Marathon tire (the brand/model used for today's 14" and 15" tires in current production). These tires are rated at 1480 pounds each, or a total capacity of 2960 pounds. So you would not be over the limit here, either, especially if you pack lightly.

As you look the unit over, you will of course check the appliances to be sure they work (refrig is the big one). Perhaps surprisingly, the 1997 model was equipped very much like today's trailers, so there is no big weight change there. Check the date code on the tires - more than a couple years old is not good.

To me, the only major concern is the possibility of wood rot in the framing of the shells. There was a recent discussion on this topic (and others) here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=17946. Though not aimed at a 2619, the ideas are the same. Check carefully. If the shells are rotted, they are VERY difficult to repair.

Let us know how it comes out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote