View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Tire changing tips

1) Before leaving home, slide out the spare tire from under the TM. Lubricate the slide rails with the lubricant that you use on the levelers. Check the air pressure. The tire is heavy and you want it to slide easily.
2) Make sure that you have the square drive screw driver that fits the cover at the top of the wheel.
3) At Walmart they sell an extendable lug wrench for about $15 that has 4 common size sockets that fit most lug nuts. They fit the nuts on my boat trailer,
TM, and my two tow vehicles. Sometimes lug nuts are impossible for me to take off. This wrench is about the size of a ruler but doubles in length to give you much more leverage. I store it with my truck jack.
4) Check your tow vehicle jack. My truck's bottle jack is strong enough and will go high enough to change the trailers tires. If your tow vehicle jack won't work, buy a bottle jack rated to lift 5,000 pounds to have a good safety factor.
5) If possible have a 1 foot piece of 4x4x4 and 2x6 to stack under the jack to give it a stable base.
6) I hope others will add to this if you have additional tips.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote