View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

Default Maiden Voyage and Comments on 2720SL

After several weeks of sitting in the driveway, we finally hooked our 2004 2720SL up to the Honda Pilot and headed out for our maiden voyage. Because it was our first trip, we opted for a local campground less than 30 minutes from our house. The campground was the Lake Williams campground near Amston Connecticut. We were there for the Memorial day weekend (see first few pics attached).

On Memorial day, my father and I packed up and headed for Nickerson Family Campground in Chaplin CT (Northeastern CT). Great campground with fantastic sites right along the Natchaug River. They stock the river with trout and I caught about a dozen brown and rainbow trout.

Anyway. a few initial thougts:

1. The furnace is loud! Need to look into an electric heater with fan.

2. The hinges on the bathroom door are poorly designed! There must be a way to reconfigure the hinges so the door will open ALL THE WAY! Any thoughts/mod suggestions?

3. Need to carry a portable tote as the sites along the river did not include sewer hookups. Which tote will fit under my frame along side the spare tire?

4. The furnace thermostat does have a wide setpoint, as much as 5 degrees. For now I'll settle for the large temperature variance in exchange for the infrequent starting of the furnace.

5. The screen porch option is nice, but until you set it up for the first time, you won't realize it's simplicity. If any of you buy this option, know that you need to leave the awning down and only partially assembled before you attempt to assemble the screened in porch. In my first experience, I had already FULLY extended the awning before attempting to construct the porch. The next time I'll know better! Leave the awning lowered and short, then attach the screen porch side and front walls BEFORE attempting to raise the awning using the side angled supports.

6. Be ready to give multiple tours of curious on-lookers at the campground!

7. Make sure you center the chair before you slide in the slide-out! I had it to the non-street side and the slide-out did not fully slide in so that when I went to latch the forward section of the roof, it would not latch! Another lesson learned!

In the attached pictures you will see the trailer hooked up to the Tow Vehicle (Honda Pilot) for the initial trip. Later you will see myself and my father standing alongside the TM. And finally, you will see the TM setup with the porch attached.

I look forward to our next trip, to Northern VT!

Vince, in CT
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote