View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
From experience, It is many times more efficient than in a pop-up during the daytime hours. We mostly camp in GA and our previous unit was a pop-up and you could hardly tell the AC was on (except for the noise), especially if parked in the summer sun. For the pop-up, that trick of covering the canvas roof areas with the silver reflective sheets did help a little however, if we weren't lucky enough to find a shaded spot.
We did this too (with our Damon CampLite 2408SLE).

My wife sewed velcro strips on 2 short edges and on the opposing long edges of 2 army survival blankets, then we velcro'ed them together. This assembly process was repeated for the other side, and a single blanket had velcro attached on the long side for the pull-out dinette. I stapled velcro on the inside of the roof just over each bunkend and my pull-out dinette.. During setup (after lifting the roof about a foot) i would attach the velcro'ed short end of the combined blanket to the roof over one bunk end, then repeat for the second bunk end. I would also attached the velcro'ed long end of the single blanket over the dinette pullout. After raising the roof completely, I would secure the blankets to the trailer with a combination of binder clips and bungie cords. It did make the bunkends and dinette more tolerable during the day. (wasn't ice cold but wasn't sweltering either). Plus, as they were army blankets, they had a drab green side as well. In colder months, you simply reverse the install (metallic side facing down) to hold the heat in. (To enable this, she sewed vecro on the opposite side, opposite end of each blanket).

Our Popup was by NO MEANS air tight, but to compensate, the a/c we installed was a 15k btu Carrier Air-V. It did great in that popup, plus it had a feature called air shower. There was a large round vent that you could open on the ceiling assembly, which would basically "shower" you in cold air (when standing directly under it). Perfect for the quick cool off.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote