View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Grand Escalante is definitely worth visiting. Very dramatic views, and no where near as many people as the national parks. One of my favorite areas.

If you can secure a permit (through BLM), be sure to check out "The Wave". Google "The Wave" (in quotes) to see pics. IIRC correctly, it's about a 3-mile hike in from the trailhead, and is a spectacular and very unusual rock formation. 20 permits for 20 people are issued daily --- 10 prior by lottery (and mail) and 10 the day before in person at the ranger office. You will not be disappointed. After returning to the trailhead, follow the creek bed downstream for about a mile, and you will run into a very cool slot canyon that I don't think alot of folks know about. Camp 10 minutes away in the "Stateline campground", so named because it straddles the AZ/UT border -- it's BLM, and no frills, and only about 6 sites -- 3 in Utah, and 3 in Arizona. No cell service, and no amenities except a pit toilet, fire ring and maybe a picnic table. Accessible only via a 10-mile dirt road that is not particularly TM-friendly, but I'd still do it again and take it very slow.

Also check out the famous Antelope Canyons.

At the GC, be sure to check out the North Rim. Since 90% of the park visitors go to the South Rim, the North Rim has far fewer congestion and development, and the views are still beautiful. Don't do it instead of the South Rim, but in addition to. There is a ~100-site campground over there that is decent. We camped there in early November last year and there were only 3 other parties in addition to us in the whole place.

Mesa Verde is an awesome place if you venture down that far.

That whole area -- the "Four Corners" -- so called as it's the only place in the country where the borders of 4 states meet in one spot, is beautiful. Lots to do and see within a few hour radius.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote