View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
ColdFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't mean to be the grumpy old man, but I've heard this statement before, and it continues to confuse me. Let's start with the fact that any vehicle with an automatic transmission has a transmission cooler. So when the dealer tells you that it's already got a cooler, he's telling you the truth. But the question isn't whether it has a cooler. It is whether the cooler that was designed for the vehicle alone is big enough to handle the added burden of towing a trailer that weighs almost as much as the vehicle itself. And especially if you are towing in hilly or mountainous terrain. Does Toyota really put twice as much cooling capacity as is needed into every vehicle it makes? I guess you have to trust the Toyota dealer ...

Bill
Bill,

I agree 100% with you. Transmission coolers are standard on newer vehicles, to a point. Whether or not the generic stock one is adequate enough to handle the added heat generated from towing is entirely different. I'd like to think that Toyota would engineer their vehicles and put them on ALL automatic Toyota's, but I know that isn't the case with my truck for example.

In the case of Tacoma's, you get a transmission cooler IF you order the factory tow package. I would imagine it would have some type of cooler on it without the tow package, but they go out of their way to mention that it is added specifically with the tow package.