View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Leveling is very critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritterbrew
Hi,
We just bought (3 weeks ago) a used 2004 2720SL. Other than needing a bath, it's in perfect condition. However, when I went out to practice the opening/closing ritual I found that it took a lot of force to pull out the front slide. I weigh about 180 and I needed to put my weight into it to get it to slide all the way out. I eyeballed the leveling of the trailer so I may have been fighting a slight uphill battle. However, I thought I'd ask the experience of other people. I do know that the unit didn't get much use so I'm wondering if the hinges need attention?

Thanks,
The front slides on TMs are pretty heavy and gravity will have a big effect on how easy they are to fully pull out. Before trying again, be sure the trailer is absolutely level. If it's still stiff there are two areas to check for corrosion/binding/grunge...one is the hinges & pins that hold up the front of the slide; the other area is the rollers under the rear of the slide.

I've personally never had much difficulty pulling the slide out...can usually do it with just a gentle tug on the handle if the trailer is carefully leveled. But my trailer is stored inside my garage and I live in a very dry climate. I have towed on wet roads/in rainy weather a total of maybe a dozen times in 3 seasons...and only one of those wet towing experiences lasted more than about 20 to 30 minutes. All of which greatly reduce the amount of corrosion and grunge my trailer has been subjected to. Plus my trailer is not carpeted...if yours has carpeting in the front, the rollers on the rear of the slide will have more resistance than mine do.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote