View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #30
rtgetchell

Although the park doesn't compare to Glacier or Yellowstone, Mesa Verde is a very cool place too! The reason I mention it is because the full hook-up loop in Morefield Campground is totally unappreciated! It is beautiful for the area and is set on the actual mesa among high desert junipers, scrub oak, and native grasses. The camp store is well stocked, there is a quick-serve restaurant on site, and the showers are FREE for campers! Several trails originate there too. The other loops are ok, but the sites are much larger and more private with the full hook-ups. Strange for a national park! One word of caution.... we did have a rattler cross our site. While more alarming than threatening, there are some in the grasses nearby. More unwanted advice - During busy times, make sure you get you tickets to tour Balcony House and the Cliff Palace in advance. As I remember, both are at least 30 minutes from the CG, and Weatherill Mesa sites are even farther.

Gallo Campground in Chaco Culture (Canyon) National Historic Park in NM is AWESOME! But, be warned....while completely possible for most rigs, there is a very rough section of dusty/rocky road immediately before arriving. Bone jarring. That, in addition to the remoteness, keeps crowds completely away. As TM owners this is where we have a huge advantage... our rigs can go about anywhere. Check it out and see the incredible starry sky, small but NEW visitor's center, trails that remind me of Moab (Chacoan Stairway, for example) and the American version of Pompeii. You won't be disappointed!

Capital Reef National Park is almost always skipped, but shouldn't be. Fruita Campground is good, and the trail to Cassidy Arch is absolutely spectacular! At the top you will be walking on the arch itself (no worry...it is wide!) about 1000 feet above the canyon floor. The road from Capital Reef to Bryce Canyon through Boulder is surreal. Highway 12. Pavement on rolling hills of slickrock. You won't forget it......
rtgetchell is offline   Reply With Quote