View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
joshbw

The noise is terrible; this may work but I would hate to cause a fire. Tampering with anything in the furnace is risky business. I did install a piece of cut ceiling tile in my A/C to quiet it down and it seemed to work. The A/C doesn’t use a flame so I was ok with it. On a heater I would be concerned, wish there was a simple solution.

As for the digital thermostat I got to try mine out this past weekend at Mojave National Preserve. I put it in awhile back but camped with hook ups since so this is the first I got to try it out. I got a Honeywell model (Home Depot) and it fits nice over where the old one was. The temps got down to the upper 30s (windy!) and it worked perfect. I hated the old Suburban model because it was always too or too cold. Now I set it at 67 and its perfect. It cycled about twice per hour at night which seemed fine. It does have adjustable cycles per hour (similar function to an anticipator like the mechanical style thermostats) but I think I will leave it at the default.

Highly recommended upgrade.

Josh