View Single Post
Old 07-24-2001, 02:37 AM   #3

Default Re: Dinette Table flimsy?

:'( Flimsy describes it well. The table is made of two pieces of panelling sandwiched over a poly foam with  wood edging. I'm 6'-2" 250# and we did more than pop the hardware, we popped the hardware and broke the table. The problem is not anything you did (other than exceed the weight limit like me) the problem is that the forward most table segment has no support. The side rails stop short of this segment and when weight is applied the add-in leaf is supported by the side rails and the forward most leaf is support by the aligning hardware only.
If you did not break the table, look into modifying the support rails so that you get support under all three segments. The leg down in the center would help support the reward leaf as it's tapered ends kind of leave it unsupported out there.
My solution after breaking the table: 3/4" oak faced plywood with iron on oak edging. I have also replaced both of the side supports with 2x2 pine rails that are full length and fit into an upright on either end with attached dowels.
It takes a little more effort to convert it to a bed now. You support the table with one hand while reaching under with the removable side supports and dropping the dowels into the holes in the tops of the verticle supports I added (I hope I described this well enough).
You may considering changing this even more by making a plywood top that fits where the table currently drops to. Leave the table in the folded down position, drop your plywood in place and put the cushions over the top for the toddler to climb up and down. When you fold up for travel, you could leave the plywood in place or drop it under the front bed cushion.
We have a 2-1/2 year old and a 1 year old. For a bed for the 2-1/2 year old, we use a fold up bed rail from K-mart under one of the dinette cushions and a crib sheet fits the cushion perfectly. For the one year old, we remove the front bed cushion (store it at the house) and place a travel crib up on the platform. When she gets more bed ready, we will pick up another portable bed rail and use the other dinette seat.

As there is not a lot of room in the 2720 for our two little ones to play, we have also made a thin frame panel with mesh that we can clamp in place over the opening of the rear bed. We wedge the bottom down beside the cushion and clamp the top with a quikclamp to the bathroom wall and the wardrobe. This provides a secure play area on the rear queen bed and allows for a great place for the kids to play while cooking, bed making, etc.
Hope this helps.