View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Some sellers are willing to travel part-way to sell their TM. An advantage of this is, if you meet them and the trailer is not in the condition they represented, you can walk away. If it is delivered to you, sight-unseen, you are stuck with it.

I would be very leery of buying a trailer without having a chance to look it over before handing-over the money. We want to trust people, but some on this forum have been excited about going to pick up a trailer, then report that it was not what they were told it was. More damage, for instance.

Once you find one, you may want to ask if anyone in that area may be willing/able to preview it for you. True, you are still trusting a stranger, but if I was previewing a trailer for you, I would be very sure I let you know about everything I saw. If you said you wanted it camp-ready, if I wouldn't buy it for myself (condition-wise), I would not encourage you to buy it. If you wanted a fixer-upper, that gives me a different set of parameters.

Good luck!
Neil:

I was faced with this same dilemma, and when I checked all the major rental car companies, exactly NONE of them would knowingly rent me a pickup truck even though it was equipped with with a hitch for towing. No car rental company is willing to be liable if something happens while you're towing a trailer, so I don't believe that is an option for you.

Duane's guidance makes sense, and I agree you cannot buy a TM from a long distance away sight unseen; you must have someone who has some knowledge of trailers in general, and preferably some knowledge of TM's. Though that is less then ideal, it is certainly better then not having it checked out at all and getting a not so nice "surprise" when it arrives.

As for shipping it or meeting someone halfway, all options can be evaluated once you find the right unit. Good luck ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote