Thread: trailmanor load
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

This thread has gotten kind of confusing, but I'll throw in a couple things even though you probably have them by now.

The bolt pattern on the OEM wheels is "5 on 4.5". If you want the new 15" wheels to fit the existing bolt pattern on the existing hub, the new wheel must also be "5 on 4.5". This is a very common size, so it should be no problem. Just make sure that the new wheels are rated for at least 60 psi air pressure.

The OEM wheels are probably 14x6. Your new wheels must be 15x6. Although many 15" tires will fit either a 6" or 7" wheel, don't try to go to 7". One of our founding members, RockyMtnRay, bought 7" wheels, and had an awful time making them fit.

The OEM wheels had zero offset. Although we have discussed offset a few times, the answer is always the same - stay with zero offset. Fortunately, that size is almost universally available.

Did you see Bill Miller's (wbmiller3) article about installing the lift kit? It is in the TM Technical Library, and is quite good including some photos. In my opinion it would not be hard to fab your own lift tubes, assuming that you can cut some steel tubes to length, and then drill holes in them. In fact, your metal supplier might be willing to cut them for you. Much cheaper, and no shipping. At this time of transition especially, the new factory might or might not be able to sell you the tubes. If you inquire, let us know the outcome.

Rickst29 is right. The OEM axle is rated for a 3500 pound load, and for almost all of us, that is the lowest-rated part in the setup. I will mention that in all the years of the forum, we have not heard of a single axle failure - and I will let you make your own decisions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote