View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Thanks for the input, Bill. Based on that measurement, I imnagine that you can see down both sides of the TM, and your sight lines converge less than 200 feet behind the trailer. That's a good thing, in my opinion.

I have to admit I am less than thrilled with the "controlled swerve" maneuver, although I too have used it on the rare occasion when I have to know if there is anything close behind me. Two problems with the maneuver. First, it annoys the hell out of other drivers - how many times have you mumbled under your breath about "that SOB is wandering all over the road!" Once you have started a swerve, it is not clear to the other guy if you are going to actually change lanes or not - or if you even see him.

More important, though, if you choose to rely on the swerve to see into the blind spot beside your TM, it means you have intentionally given up the ability to flick a quick glance at the mirror and see what the situation is. In normal driving (no trailer), most drivers flick a glance at the inside and outside rear view mirrors every few seconds. It is quick, automatic, and you may not even realize you are doing it - but it keeps you cognizant of the world around your vehicle. The military guys call this "situation awareness". When you hook up a trailer, it seems to me that you need situation awareness even more. This is NOT the time, in my opinion, to intentionally give it up, and resort to a somewhat clumsy, time-consuming, and irritating alternate procedure.

Just my opinion, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote