View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiondo View Post
Hello all...

In anticipation of taking delivery next week I have been busy getting a brake controller (Tekonsha P3) and the Bargman connection installed on the TV. The P3 documentation instructs that the P3 ground connection be physically connected to the battery negative terminal rather than grounded to the TV body under the dash. Is it really necessary to run the ground all the way back to the battery if you can insure a good ground under the dash?

I seen mention that in 2002 TrailManor started installing a 3 stage charger, reducing the problem of over charging the TM battery. Since ours is a 2001 without this feature, would keeping the TM plugged in while at home potentially cause an overcharging situation?

BTW, can someone point me to a wiring diagram. I thought sure I came across one here, but I can't find hide-nor-hair of now.

Thanks in advance and good to be here. I've been slowly going through past posts, and am learning a lot (which is good) and already dreaming about all the great mods I could do once we get the TM home (maybe not so good...if you ask my wife )
First let me welcome you to the forums. It is a good source of information.
Maybe someone is else has your controller, I don't know anything about that brand. But on the Jeep, yes you will have to go back to the battery or at least the bolt that grounds the battery to the frame. I had to do this on both my DW's 2005 Grande Cherokee and my 2008 Ram p/u. Modern dashes don't seem to be grounded well.

As for the converter yes it will overcharge your battery. The converter in my 2002 Outback is rated at 45 amps and sits at 13.6V. I hooked up a new battery and within two hours the battery was over heating. The old battery had swollen up like a balloon. I put in a new converter for a friend last spring that was listed as being 3 stage. Over the summer with no one to check on things it boiled the battery dry. Several members seem to have no problems with doing with leaving the charger(converter) plugged in all the time. I plan on running a series of test on out TM when we get back from this fishing trip.

There is a manuals thread within the forms, try searching for wiring.

Ken

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote