View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
Morning,
My wife and I watched a PBS program on gocaching thought it might be fun. So after we got the stuff downloaded on our cell phones we when hunting. LOL There is/was a location about 3 block from where we live (In Balboa Park) we looked for two days, no luck. That month both my brother and sister and spouses came for dinner. We talked about this and so everyone went back to Balboa Park. NO LUCk. We tried three more places within 2 or3 blocks of the park. With six sets of eyes nothing was found. Gocaching was/is not for us. Hope you have a great time in Yuma.
Beak12 -

Good for you for trying it! Smart phones aren't really the best tool for finding caches, though they will work. Balboa Park is an absolutely gorgeous location, with 75-100 caches hidden within the boundaries, so even if you didn't find the cache, you got outdoors and walked around. That is a large part of the allure, at least for us.

But urban caches can be discouraging, because they disappear on a regular basis. Non-cachers stumble across them, wonder what they are, and pocket the container. We prefer to get out of town, into the desert or the forest, for our searches. We have found caches on mountaintops, underwater, on a rock outcropping in the middle of a lake, and 200 feet into an abandoned hard-rock mine. We found a cache that had been dropped into the desert from an airplane flying at several thousand feet, which meant that its location was only loosely known. Under an arch in Utah. Hidden in a rusty tractor. Inside a Caddy at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. Needless to say, these don't disappear as often, and they are a lot more fun to go after (and hide!)

So don't give up, just because an urban cache was missing. Join us!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote