View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
nothing else in the HD Tow package adds any power to the vehicle
Towing capability is far more than raw horsepower. Cooling is a lot of it. Suspension, especially rear suspension, is some more. Brakes are a big item, as you can imagine. And there are other considerations such as durability in extreme conditions.

On page 2 of the towing guide, they give a condensed and almost worthless description of the test used to determine tow capacity. The test, known as SAE standard J2807, is relatively new - before it came into existence, manufacturers could pretty much claim anything. It is interesting to find out exactly what is J2807 involves. There is a pretty good description here.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

Among other things, it lists required performance on a stretch of road called "Davis Dam Road", a steep and L-O-N-G piece of highway in Arizona (11 miles of unrelenting 8% grade, as I recall), on a day with temps over 100 degrees, air conditioner full on, driver plus passenger plus some hundred pounds of cargo. In other words, a reasonably realistic scenario. It is intended to add realism to tow capacity numbers.

We had a 2002 Explorer V-8, and then a 2007 Explorer V-8. Both were "rated" at about 6800 pounds. We ran the Davis Dam Road several times with both of them. With a 4000 pound TM behind, those Explorers could keep up 60 mph, but barely. There was no way in the world that they could have done it with a 6800-pound trailer on the back.

My point is that your 2015 Expedition is rated for 6600 pounds, and it meets J2807, which didn't exist for my Explorers. I would be pretty confident that it will do anything you need with a TM. If it doesn't have a wiring harness, you'll have to add it. But I, personally, wouldn't pay thousands to get it. Just my feeling.

Dick's concern above is a good one. Only you can address it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote