Thread: wheel balancing
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
I figured there was something Still we're far ahead of where we were this morning

Malinda
Sounds like ya got it going on, Malinda.

As far as the stems are concerned, let me see if I can clarify it just a hair.

We keep discussing two different types of valve stems, but really aren't differentiating between the two types.....as much as we are the pressure ratings.

What you got today sounds like a TR600 snap-in valve stem (which replaced your original TR413 snap-in valve stem). A TR600 snap-in stem is rated for pressures up to 100 psi.

Your original TR413 snap-in valve stem is rated for pressures between 60-65 psi maximum.

So if you are using tires that run pressures higher than 65 psi, you need at least a TR600 snap-in stem. However, just as Wayne correctly referred in his above post, either one is still a snap-in stem and aren't as long-lasting or durable as a 'clamp-in' metal valve stem which we will discuss now.

A "clamp-in" metal valve stem is the one that has a nut on it, and you screw it tight. The clamp-in stems are rated for pressures even greater than 100 psi (although you probably won't ever find a tire for your trailmanor that requires that much pressure). We are recommending a clamp-in stem more for some of the reasons below, more than for the air pressure it can hold.

These type of stems have a rubber grommet on the inside part of (the part inside the wheel/tire) it that seals the stem. These rubber grommets do eventually dry out, but the grommet can be replaced. These stems do last a lot longer than either one of the clamp-in stems we discussed above. Since they are rigid stems, they can also be better if you ever decide to put one of the after-market type of tire pressure monitoring systems on your trailer, that screw onto the valve stems in place of the valve cap. These metal stems also aren't as susceptible to tire cleaning products, that will ruin a regular rubber snap-in valve stem.

A TR600 snap-in stem and the clamp-in stem are BOTH high pressure stems, which is where some of the confusion begins.

A lot of the time, when we say high pressure stem, we don't clarify enough to mean that we are usually referring to a metal clamp-in stem only.

I am probably as bad as anyone on adding to this confusion, and from now on will be certain to specify clamp-in valve stem instead of high pressure valve stem when referring to them in the forums.