View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We got the call Wednesday evening before Christmas that we HAD to be in Flagstaff on Monday, December 28 at 10:30am. Air fares this time of year with no notice were insane. I made reservations at La Quinta for Sunday and Monday. Then something reminded me that any noise coming from the hallway in a hotel convinces one of our dogs that an escaped serial killer is just about to break down our door . . . So using my infinite wisdom, I did some quick math in my head and said, "You know, it would only cost $70 extra in gas to take the TM".

I spent Christmas Eve morning here, learning all I could about winter camping. Thanks to all for the great advice. I printed up Bill's original post from here which helped so much.

We figured it was ok to stay home to have Christmas with the kids and grandkids and travel Saturday and Sunday.

It was snowing here on Saturday morning before we left and Gene had to work until 1pm. Still seemed ok until it started to get dark and the truck lights came on. The running lights on the trailer started to do a total light show. Famous last words, they were fine the last time we had it out. So, we found the nearest KOA and called it a night. That issue remains unresolved and we were now commited to travel only during the day or risk making new friends with cars with bright, shiny lights.

The next morning we started getting ready to hit the road at 5:30am and reached the KOA in Flagstaff at 5:30pm.

Monday morning the weather forecast had changed from a slight chance of snow to up to 3" overnight and 2 additional inches the following day.

So, we walked the dogs and got ready. We went to the service, went over to the house, had lunch with a couple of friends and decided to get off the mountain before the snow started flying. Not even 24 hours in town . . .

Anyway, our morning temperatures were 12, 6, 22 and 20 balmy degrees. The first morning we were breaking down at 12 degrees in the dark. We had no choice. We had to get there.

The good news:

Even those of you whom I trust the most could have never convinced me that the TM could be that comfortable with the kind of temperatures we were in.

The new thermostat we installed (but had not been able to test) worked fine the first two nights and totally wigged out the third. The good news is we had no idea it was 54 degrees in the TM until we crawled out of our amazing travasaks in the morning. The only reason it was that warm was because we had a little heater in the bathroom. Amazing that a space heater that small could keep the TM that warm in those temps. Luckily, we held onto the original thermostat.

I was previously considering several types of additional bed insulation but after this trip, I am even removing the 1" memory foam I had added as I think it #1 is not necessary and #2 it makes it more difficult to close the TM.

We camped dry except for the toilet, only because we had so very little time. We stayed at KOAs and their facilities were so much easier . . . This morning we dumped the black water and dumped a bunch of clean water through.

Bottom line, I would not hesitate for a second to camp in the TM in seriously cold weather. If I were faced with doing it again under the gun, where I wouldn't have the option to wait for the sun to come up or wait out a storm, I'd be getting more rewards points at LQ and tossing the keys on the desk as I walked out the door in the morning. There has been much discussion here that TMs are not for everyone. They are for us but not so much when you are so darn rode hard and put away wet.

Attached is a picture of our driveway in the morning, the day we left. Luckily, the interstate looked much better than this.

Thanks once again for the great advice!
Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote