View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jo Ann -

Fair question. I think the answer is "Yes". On the other hand, I haven't done it yet, so I can't be sure.

A 17" flat screen TV is not too heavy - maybe 10 pounds - so I think the cabinet is up to the task. Especially since I don't keep anything heavy in the cabinet itself (only paper plates, plastic cups, napkins, etc). And of course I would hang the cabinet on the wall first, then hang the TV on the cabinet - and reverse the sequence when taking it down.

Right now I am wrestling with the question of whether to have a one-piece hanger or a two-piece hanger. The one-piece version would be a piece of U-bent sheet metal permanently screwed to the back of the TV. It would hook over the trim piece at the top of the cabinet. The two piece version would have one of its pieces permanently screwed to the side of the cabinet, and the other permanently screwed to the back of the TV. Both are pretty simple in concept, but since I don't have access to a sheet metal brake, I have to think it through carefully.

When I get it done, I will post.

BTW, Wal-Mart has two wall-mount kits for flat screens. Either would work. But the cheap one allows adjustment only up-down, but doesn't allow you to angle the TV out into the room. And the more expensive one, which allows adjustment in all directions, is - well, expensive. And neither is quick to hang.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote