View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
househunterlives

Default First Time and mybe last time.

For months my DW wanted to get a TM. So I gave in search for a couple of months and found a great deal on a 2005 3023. Had to drive 400 miles to get it. Love the extra storage cabinets and drawers under the sofa. TM is like new condition where the previous owners only used it 4 times and had it garage storage for last five years. Still had the new car smell inside. They just installed new tires and a new battery.
Decided to take DW out first without the kids to see how things work out all the bugs. Will we are finding out this isn't for us. We have bad backs and getting in and out of the bed is a challenge. Bought a folder step stole and seemed to help. But having to roll over each other to get up to pee isn’t fun. So thinking we will put the kids in the Queen bed and us on the sofa bed might work better. With the two of us it took us an hour and half to pack it and break it down. With us wanting to use it only three to two days at a time, is a lot of work for a short stay. Also tried to get the wife to try and open up it up just by herself. So if she and the kids take it out by their self she can do it. No go…couldn’t even get it her to left up any.
Had a great time otherwise. I almost burn the TM down twice! First time I was cooking bacon and had a plate with a paper towel on it. Was taking the bacon out of the pan when the paper towel caught on fire. Second time was cooking popcorn in the microwave when it sparked and the whole bag caught on fire inside the microwave. This was bad! Took the bag out with it flaming. Drop it on her new rug then drop it into the sink to put it out. Now the rug is on fire. Had to use her new dish towel to put the rug out. Go figure…she had to buy all new stuff for the TM.
At night it got really cold. So used the furnace and a ceramic heater. I am very surprise at how little propane it used. Ran it a lot and still has a lot of gas left. Kept the TM very warm. I did the pool noodle trick under the beds. Work great, but every time you moved it made a noise. So there went my love life…lol. She didn’t like that. Also there was a lot of moisture inside where the bed meets up with the sides. Had to wipe it down to keep it off the sheets. I think sleeping bags would have done better. But here again she doesn’t do sleeping bags.
Don’t get me wrong we do love our TM. It is very easy to tow and maneuver around. It is the coolest thing since slice bread. We even hear people talk about it as they walk by. So we are in a unique class of campers. My daughter won’t sleep in it. She is afraid of it closing in on her. So I will be getting rid of it as fast as I got it. So if anyone wants a great deal on a very good TM just PM me.