Thread: Dometic fridge
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Flyfisher -

First, make sure the fan is running. You should be able to hear it when you turn on the switch.

Then, make sure the fan is installed so that it blows in the right direction. To do this, remove the outside cover over the lower half of the refrig. Inside you will see a piece of dryer hose, running from the floor up into the upper half. The fan is at the bottom of this hose, screwed to the floor, with the end of the hose attached over it. The fan must blow downward, blowing air out through the screened hole in the floor. You should be able to start the fan, then put your hand under the trailer, and feel air blowing out through the floor.

Having said those easy and hopeful things, it is more likely that you are one of the unfortunates (a group that includes me, by the way) whose tow vehicle won't keep the refrigerator running on 12 volts while on the road. In my case (and as reported by several others), if I run the refrig more than a 3 or 4 hours on the 12-volt setting while I am towing, the TM battery becomes completely discharged, and the refrig quits. There is no easy solution to this. The problem is in the tow vehicle, NOT in the TM.

I'm having trouble finding the original discussion, but here was a LO-O-O-NG follow-up discussion.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=18079

Finally, 100-degree-plus temps are real hard for this kind of refrigerator to deal with. The cooling mechanism in a gas absorption refrigerator is simply not as capable as the compressor-based refrig in your home. Since my TM has a Norcold unit, I no longer have a manual for the Dometic frig (gotta get another one if someone will remind me of the model number). But I seem to recall that the manual had some cautionary words in this regard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote