View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
MisterP

Text from "Tools Needed?" link in post 9 archive: (there were no pictures on this page)

TM Repairs: Tools Needed!

This section is here to show what tools and parts I used in the repair of my TM.

1) Hand Saw
2) Power Saw
3) Hack Saw
4) Large Rubber Mallet
5) Small Rubber Mallet
6) Chisel
7) Drill
8) Cordless Drill
9) Dremel Tool
10) 2 inch "C" Clamps (10-12)
11) Small, long flathead screwdriver
12) Bolt Cutter
13) Wire Cutter
14) Needlenose Pliars
15) Dog Tiedown (Corkscrew type)
16) Dog Tie (Steel line coated with plastic)

1) Saw - Used very little for cutting what little wood I used to replace out the original wood. Most wood was replaced with aluminum tubing.

2) Power Saw - Used very little as well. I used a power saw to cut a 2x4x15' board into 1 inch by 1.5 inch strips. A typical 2x4 is in reality 1.5 inches, by 3.5 inches. The wood in the roof section of the TM is 1"x1.5".

3) Hack Saw - Used to cut the aluminum tubing when needed.

4 & 5) Rubber Mallets - Used to knock the old rotted wood out with the chisel, also used to tap the small flathead screwdriver under the staples used to affix the vinal seal along the bottom out.

6) Chisel, Used to knock the old wood out, and make small modifications to what wood I used in it. Also, by tapping the chisel up in between the wall and the wood, it would break the grip of what glue was still in there holding the old wood.

7 & 8) Drills, corded & cordless - I used a corded drill to do all the drilling as needed for two reasons. One reason was it was a hassel to change the bit out with the screw driver bit, and two, by using the cordless drill as a screwdriver only, it saved on the battery on the cordless drill. Also, it had the power I needed to drill through the aluminum. One important note here, be sure to match the correct drill bit to the screw you're using to drill your pilot holes, too large, the screw won't hold, too small, you will strip out the heads on the screws. Aluminum tubing is soft, but it won't act the same with the screws as wood, so it is VERY important to get the proper match!

9) Dremel Tool - Used quite extensively to make small adjustments to the aluminum, cut off the heads of the lag screws used to replace the pins, and for other odds and ends. I recommend the really heavy duty fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels as the other ones will constantly break off.

10) "C" Clamps, 2 inch - Used to hold the aluminum while it was being glued to the wood. Also used to hold the vinal from the seals in place while it was being all screwed down.

11) Small long flathead screwdriver - This was extremely useful for removing the staples in all the vinal from the seals. By placing it under the vinal and staple, a small tap from the small rubber mallet would pop the old staple out.

12 & 13) Bolt Cutter & Wire Cutter - Used to cut off the screws that were on the inside portion of the trailer that held the old wood in place that held the vinal seals in place.

14) Needle Nose Pliars - Used to pull the staples out after knocking them loose with the small screwdriver, as well as other odds and ends.

15 & 16) Corkscrew Type Dog Tiedown & Tie - Planted in the ground next to the trailer at the exact length needed to support the top to keep it from travelling too far forwards.

Other materials used in the Trailmanor repairs:

1) Aluminum tubing

2) Wood, 1"x .5"

3) Wood, 1"x1.5"

4) Screws, Panhead, 1", size 12 (Stainless Steel)

5) Screws, Panhead, 1.5" size 12 (Stainless Steel)