View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
clan_salmons

Default Mopeka propane tank sensors

I really want to like these sensors, but I cannot recommend.

I puchased a set of two sensors a little less than two years ago. Pairing the sensors to the phone app was easy. They worked fine for the first season.

At this point neither sensor can detect any gas level in nearly full tanks Both have fresh batteries and are transmitting a signal.

It's a good idea, poorly executed. The case is not protected in any way from moisture. Just two pieces of plastic that snap together. You have to pry them apart with a fine bladed screwdriver to change the battery. The circuit board is not screwed down. It simply rests between tabs in the case and susceptible to vibration. Finally the whole package is too thick to put under a propane tank. The sensors ship with little tabs to lift the tank, but they are a pain and harden over time. One of the magnet sockets on each case has broken. They are strong magnets designed to hold the sensor firmly to the tank. I suspect this is the failure point and I am going to try and glue those down. Mopeka sells better tank lifting options now, but that's more $$ to fix a weak design.

I'll update if I can get them working.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote