View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry is right. It is easy to overload the rear axle of the truck (I know, I've done it on our 2014 F-150). There is a sticker in the driver's door frame that tells you the weight capacity of the rear axle. The weight on the rear axle includes the weight-on-rear-axle of the truck itself, most of the weight of everything you put in the bed of the truck, and the hitch weight of the trailer. The hitch weight of a loaded and ready-to-camp 3023 can easily exceed 600 pounds, so it is easy to reach the sticker weight.

A WDH will move some of the weight forward, which will improve handling and braking. Remember, all of the steering, and around 60% of the braking, occur at the front wheels, so if you unload the front wheels, both will suffer.

The only way to know the actual weight you are putting on the rig's three axles is to pack up the trailer and the truck, and weigh the rig. For about $10, you can get the weight on all three axles on a CAT scale (check catscale.com for locations). Very quick and easy - and very important.

I find the CAT scale to be easy and very convenient, since it is just drive-on drive-off. But you may find a local scale at the local dump or waste transfer/ landfill station, or at a gravel pit, moving company, etc And these places may be willing to do it for free.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote