Thread: Beware
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
rumbleweed

Based on my experience I do not believe the leaks many people are seeing are due to poor workmanship, instead they the result of abuse. To clarify, the selling feature of the TM is maximum creature comfort at minimum weight / tow effort. To accomplish this, you give up some durability ( ie cant walk on roof) but still have a very viable home away from home. Many of the leaks I have seen, especially on new TM's appear to be the result of overly aggressive washing techniques by dealers. No one wants to pick up their new TM covered with dirt so dealers thoroughly wash them. Most dealers do not have PHD's in the wash bay. In an effort to speed up washing, washers sometimes use high pressure hoses or power washers like those used to wash Big rigs. This can easily loosen the seam caulk and cause a leak. I had several leaks on my new TM immediately after delivery and chose to remove and recaulk all the roof seams at one time . This was a little extra effort, but many heavy rains later not one leak.