View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
mgoblue911

Default TM forum content and moderation

I completely agree with Scott O. Obviously (or maybe not so obviously) "Anything Goes..." is not a literal statement. If you enjoy camping in the buff, it is not acceptable to post your fireside pictures here, even if you did stay there in your TM. I am being a little obtuse just to try and emphasize my point. IMO, Off Topic is the place for discussing activities enjoyed while camping. But I don't think that this forum is the place for political discussions, money management advice, religious views, or telling jokes. All of these things are WAY too polarizing, and people's interpretation of "appropriate" or "within reason" is too wide ranging. Are any of us here on this forum specifically to discuss any of these topics? I don't think so.

As for "censorship", I guess I am not convinced that a private forum like this comes with some sort of guarantee of free speech rights.

Moderators are necessary and valuable. The goal a forum like this is to appeal to as broad a membership as possible. The role of moderation is to enhance the forum towards achieving that goal. I think the TMO forum needs it.