View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
I joined this forum and have continued to use it, because it is TrailManor-specific. By that, I mean that the forum content has been FOR TrailManor owners, FROM TrailManor owners, and ABOUT TrailManor issues. I believe that is also why prospective buyers come to this forum - it is TrailManor-specific.

IMHO, "diversity" (whatever that means) and "inclusiveness" (ditto) and "political correctness" (ditto), etc. can - and should be - found elsewhere. VOTING to permit ANY off-topic discussion is foolishness. Thank you, moderators, for keeping us and the forum ON TOPIC. Don't quit, now; if you do, so will I (but I hope that's not necessary).
The problem is the definition of what is off topic.

If I ask for a recommendation for a campground at Lake Tahoe is that off topic because it is a park review?

If birding is on topic, then why is geocaching in a TM off topic? I can't figure this one out at all. You can go birding in your own back yard, but serious geocaching requires a trailer.

What started this whole mess is several people were discussing using their GPS to participate in an outdoor activity commonly called geocaching. It was not obscene, political, or religious. Some people thought it was off topic, for reasons that I have never comprehended. I thought it was at least loosely connected to camping because most people that geocache do so on camping trips.

I skipped over reading it because I have no interest in that particular hobby. However, I do have an interest in other hobbies that are frequently associated with camping. Someone around here has written about using his TM to attend radio controlled helicopter rallyes. No one complained about that hobby.

What is so bad about geocaching that it is a banned topic, but other hobbies for campers is permissible. That makes no sense to me.