View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #120
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Annie, we only purchased our 2714 TM in February, but we moved up from a canvas pop-up. We took the TM on a 2400-mile trip this summer, and I took it for a long weekend with two other men in November.

On the long trip, the low profile of the TM was a huge plus. We had headwinds for 600 miles, and only lost about half-a-mile per gallon (diesel, with a 3-litre in a Grand Cherokee - not a huge engine or vehicle), and I drove 75 on the interstate the entire trip (I'll catch flack for 75, but I worked up to it, and was very aware of what the TV and TM were doing).

My folks had a Four Winds travel trailer, and they lose much speed and mpg when they tow into the wind. They also notice cross-winds, which I don't, with my TM.

We were in some 40+ mph winds the first few nights, and inside, we didn't feel any drafts. TMs are not air-tight, but there are only a couple of places I stuff filler, and it doesn't get drafty. I see no advantage with a regular TT when it comes to wind.

After my November weekend, I only had to open my drain valves, and faucets, and drain the entire system. I don't have to winterize like you do on a regular TT.

I recommend a TM to anyone who wants to travel. It is simple to set up (really, two minutes to open and secure the shells, then a couple minutes inside.) I think that is worth it, when I likely get at least 5 mpg better when towing the TM than I would if I towed a full-height TT.

Fit an finish of my TM are very good. Nothing has come loose, and I am finicky. I check the entire unit after each day of travel (we did some 4-wheel roads to get into one campsite, and had no issues at all).

In my mind, a TM is a great unit, and the collapsible shells are a big plus, not a detraction. It makes travel so much easier and less stressful.
LoveToCamp is online now   Reply With Quote