View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

First of all, if you replace your interior lights with LEDs, you can reduce your power requirements for light to virtually zero -- my LEDs generate at least as much light, and draw only 10% of the power (about 150 mA, IIRC). The ones I have plug into the existing sockets, are circuit boards that shine only downward, and require no retrofitting. And since lighting represents a major part of your power requirements, I would do that first. Assuming most of the "bathroom etc." visit power requirements are also lights, your 280Wh drops to 28Wh, which at 12VDC is only 2.3Ah. That's nothing.

Additionally, look at the "brick" that supplies the power to your CPAP, and perhaps the jack on the machine where the power supply plugs into, and you may find that your CPAP machine runs on 12VDC. If that's the case, make an adapter for it with a cigarette plug on the other end, and you gain back your 15% inverter loss.

I have 2 Trojan T-105s (total combined capacity of ~220Ah), and while camping with a guest that ran a CPAP, we had plenty of power reserve after 2 nights of use, including using the CPAP heater. I think you will find that the 60W requirement is the max; when the heater is not running, it's significantly less. I could be wrong though as that was several years ago. But even if it drew 60W constant, you still should have plenty of power to get you through 2 nights.

I can't comment on the solar setup, but my Trojan T-105s have been great after 6 years. I don't think I'll need to replace them for at least a few more years, although I have taken good care of them. And they are half the price of AGMs last time I checked.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote