View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
inghamm
Site Sponsor

I followed Bill's advice and got a Battery Tender for the long periods of storage. Happy with that. Someone else can probably speak to the whether your option 1 or option 2 would be as good for float charging, however, if you are taking the battery out and putting it in the garage, Option 1 won't work for that.

For recharging at the campsite with shore power or at home, I've been using this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

scrujaynest posted on one of my topics when I was having battery problems about having enough power for charging according to the manufacture's website - too slow was bad, so I looked up on the manufacture's website and found the charger with the correct amps. (That did apply to GC-2's)

"As a general rule GC -2s prefer a minimum of 10%, also called c/10 where c = battery AH rating. You can go as low as 5% but won't get as long a life expectancy. For a typical GC-2, call it 225AH C/10 is 22.5 amps! So something that will do a higher bulk charge rate may be in order."

So I went with that advice and got the appropriate smart charger. So far happy with that.

Your battery specs say maximum 10amps, so my charger would be too much, but you might consider the 7.2 amp version:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G7200-Ul...o+genius+g7200

I also use a battery cut-off switch. Pull into camp and after I connect the shore power I disconnect the battery and then charge it with the NOCO, so I rarely have the converter charging the battery.

FYI at the bottom of the full specs for the 34M it says:
"Model: 34M
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are not recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications." I wonder if that was a mistake or on purpose.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote