View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Leo Garlitz

Default problem with mailto resolved

Finally figured out what my problem was. Unknown to me both IE and FF recognize 'mailto' which is a 'link diversion' which will start your choice of mail service to send email. This can be inserted by any poster in the forum who wants to provide an easy way for reader to email respond to them.

Basically browser recognizes the 'mailto' and starts a new window with the users choice of email program and inserts the poster's email address into the email program as the 'TO:" address. I never use this and my diversion was defaulted to 'rundll32.exe' which starts IE directed to the Windows live login screen. This is probably intended to be hotmail or other microsoft services but with no login info you get the login screen.

The FF fix is while in browser select 'tools/options/applications' and locate content type 'mailto'. To the right should be dropdown which will let you select mail service; my first option was 'rundll32.exe' but others available were yahoo! mail, Gmail and others. By selecting yahoo!mail (my mail service which is always logged in) I can now automatically respond to email. If your 'mailto' produces unusual results then setting this option may help your case. By the way you will not see 'mailto' in the post; instead the poster email address will appear and the 'mailto' diversion is in the background.

Hope this helps someone because it has bothered me for a long, long time!!