View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 04:21 AM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re: Towing with a Ranger?

Last Saturday I had my rig (2002 TM 2720SL towed by a '96 Jeep Cherokee) weighed at a RV weight clinic put on by the RV Safety Education Foundation. Unlike the axle weights obtained at commercial scales, the RVSEF uses a separate scale under each wheel.

Per instructions, I loaded the TM as I would for a week or so of boondock camping: 3 gal fluid in the Toilet, hot water tank full, fresh water tank full, grey water tank empty, fridge full of food and beverages (around 30 lb total), closet about half full, cabinets fairly full. In the front, I'd stowed a lightweight microwave (~20 lbs), a moderately heavy folding chair (~10 lbs), my backpack (~15 lbs), and the TM's over-sink cabinet filled with dishes (melamine), glasses (acrylic), and various condiments (total weight around 30 lbs) and some other miscellaneous items...total weight around 90 lbs.

My TM does not have an Air Conditioner nor does it have the TV antenna but it does have an awning and folding hitch. When weighed, the TM was connected to my Jeep with a WDH with 4 links dropped.

The resultant weights were interesting: Much like Bill_NM, my total TM axle weight was 3250 lbs (apparently typical or a bit below due to no AC and packing lightly with lightweight stuff). However and quite importantly, this was from 1500 lbs on the curb (door/cabinet/wardrobe) side and a rather startling 1750 lbs on the street (toilet/water tanks/refer) side.

Since the 2720's tires are rated for a max load of 1870 lbs, I'm pretty close to the max on the street side tire...particularly since I often drop 5 links on the WDH (instead of the 4 links I used when it was weighed) which likely transfers another 25 to 50 lbs per tire back to the trailer tires.

Other weights were about normal...hitch weight was 525 lbs (likely from all that stuff stowed in the front of the TM). Total TM weight was therefore 3775 (limit is 4080 IIRC) and my Jeep is rated for 5000 lbs total with up to 750 lbs hitch weight (using a WDH). The Jeep has a Front GAWR of 2500 (actual was 1850) and a rear GAWR of 2700 (actual was 2550). Total GCW was 7650 lbs versus the Jeep's GCWR of 9060 lbs.

Soooo, although all axle and hitch weights would have been nicely "in the green" using normal axle weighing techniques, these axle weighing techniques would not have revealed how close to the max I've been on that street side TM tire.  In the future, I'm no longer going to depart with the fresh water tank containing more than 6 to 8 gallons of water. That will reduce that side's weight by around 100 lbs and still give me enough water to get through the first night if need be. (Since the availability of potable water in primitive/boondock campgrounds (e.g. NFS, BLM) is often uncertain here in the arid west, it would be imprudent to leave home with a completely empty tank).

If you have an opportunity to attend a RVSEF weight clinic, I highly recommend you do so...you may find that although total axle weights are fine one tire is well over its rated limit. This clinic was totally free and sponsored by a very good local RV dealer (though not the TM dealer)...Pikes Peak Traveland.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote