View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
rjackson

Default Specific Questions about 15" Tires & Rims for 2720

First, I apologize as I know these topics have been covered already, but I've read some much in this forum that my head is spinning!

New member here from SoCal who is planning on buying a pre-2010 TrailManor 2720SL soon. In fact, I am driving to Arizona in 2 days to look at one which I may purchase.

I've been reading up on the issue of the 14" Load Range C tires that come on this trailer, and am convinced that I need to upgrade it to 15" tires (and 2" lift) soon after I get it.

HERE'S WHAT I HAVE LEARNED:
  • The stock Load Range C (1822 lbs ea.) tires are inadequate, as loading the trailer with a few extra can get you woefully close to the limits of the tire. If pressures aren't perfect and / or temperatures real high it's possible, if not likely, that you will eventually experience a blow-out.
  • I can upgrade the 14" Load Range C tires to a Load Range D (2180 lbs ea.) which would put them more in a better safety margin, but the stock rims are only designed for the Load Range C and 50 psi! I've also got to upgrade the stock rims.
  • I definitely want to go to a Load Range D or even E tire, which would require a new rim, so it makes sense to get a 15" X 6" rim at that point. Of course, I'd have to buy and have the 2" lift installed. (I would prefer to not raise the trailer, but I think the consensus is that it must be done as there's not enough clearance in the wheel well. Correct?)
  • The rims are also rated at a certain weight and max psi.
  • Best to get steel belted radials with nylon overlay / cap, etc.
  • Critical to balance the rims after the tires are mounted.
  • Use a steel instead of rubber valve stem.
  • A highly recommended tire on this forum is the Maxxis 205X75R15, but I'm unclear on the associated rim.

I contacted etrailer.com to ask about the Maxxis M8008, which they don't have. They recommended Taskmaster or one other brand (Contender?). I asked if these tires had a nylon overlay or cap and the guys said he had never heard of it before! I looked at their site and it mentioned "Nylon tread-firming belt overlays help prevent tread separation." He said "Hmmm. Interesting". Not a great first impression of etrailer.com.

QUESTIONS:
  • Looking at the Maxxis website, I see that the Maxxis M8008 has a 205X75R15 (Load Range D?) 8-ply tire rated at 65 psi / 2150 lbs, which is obviously adequate. However, they also have a 225X75R15 8-ply tire rated at 65 psi / 2540 lbs. (Load Range E?) Is the 225 OK to use? Better? The website doesn't mention load range categories.
  • When I was asking about wheels on etrailer.com, the guy was asking about the bolt pattern. I know it's a 5-bolt pattern, but is it 5 on 4.5", 5 on 4.75", 5 on 5", or 5 on 5.5"? (Sorry - I'd measure if I already had a trailer!)
  • Any recommendations for other online sources for the Maxxis tires? There is a Discount Tire store in a nearby town, but their website doesn't show Maxxis. I usually deal with Pep Boys for my cars, but they don't have access to Maxxis tires.

Again, sorry for the repetitive nature of my questions. I'm real excited about the prospects of getting a TrailManor. We currently have small Chalet a-frame, which is really fun, but I think the TM will suit us better.

I've been lurking here for some time and am very impressed with this site, the collective knowledge, and willingness to share. Hopefully, I'll someday be in a position to contribute.

TIA!
Rick
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote