View Single Post
Old 01-12-2024, 11:59 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

You don’t want to ply WrestleMania inside but they are sturdy enough. The aluminum is a skin, it’s not very thick at all.. If a tree falls on it, it’s probably all done but that’s true with most any camper.

As for the roof, there is no luan in the roof (there is a layer of luan in the floor). The only wood in the upper sections anymore is on the open end of each roof shell, so the bag seals have something to be staples to. Otherwise it’s 1”x1” aluminum square framing around the perimeter of the upper walls and roof. The lower box is still framed in wood but it’s not really a leak/rot issue. You still want to keep up with sealing the roof seams because water entry can degrade the adhesive between the aluminum and foam core, and the roof will lose its crown. If that happens there’s really no way to fix it. Along those same lines, no the roof is not walkable. There are no cross beams on the roof other than the perimeter. It’s like a unibody car, the shape of the roof is what holds the shape of the roof. A lot of folks have used Eternabond tape to seal the seams permanently. The roof is aluminum, not rubber, so it won’t leak except at those seams and won’t tear. You can certainly get on the roof to work on it but you’ll want to stay low and spread your weight as much as possible, and never get on the roof with your camper open.

Cost. That’s a big factor. If a new one was in the budget when I bought my TM, yea I would’ve bought a new one. The folks in South Dakota do a great job building these campers and fully stand by their product. In fact they are currently building a larger factory to keep up with demand, so clearly the price is in line with what you get. Don’t think of it as a really expensive pop-up camper, because it is so much more than that.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote