View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
trisht

Default Appreciate input on mounting a bike rack

Hi all,

I'm fishing for some input and feedback wrt bike racks. We have a new 3124KB. Our TV is a Sequoia rated to 6200lbs. I've looked over other related posts, put am leaning toward something a little different and would appreciate the input. I need to carry 5 bike and don't want to put them on top of the TV as I've got a trick back. Mounting 5 bikes to the front of the TV also seems excessive.

My plan had been to install the TM factory rear receiver, but that does not seem to be sturdy enough. For the rack I'm looking to use and 5 bikes, it's about 200lbs. What I'm considering is to commission local trailer / hitch shop to essentially weld a heavy piece of metal inside the rear bumper compartment to tie together the left and right side frame members. Weld a 2" receiver onto that and punch through the rear of the bumper. The rack has a swing out capability so if I mount the receiver off center about a foot, I can swing the bikes to the side of the TM allowing me to open the TM without having to take the bikes off.

I'm not thrilled about putting the extra weight on the back of the TM, but I do have a good WDH (Equalizer 10000).

The other option that was suggested to me was a collar type attachment added to the hitch which supports a vertically mounted bike rack. It's from an outfit called Hitch Rider (http://www.hitchrider.com/towcarry.htm). They are a local company and I've seen their products. They appear to be of high quality. If you look at their site, the receiver can be seen at the "Tow-n-Carry Rack" tab and the actual bike rack at the "Truckee Rack" tab. While the idea of moving the weight in front the TM axle is appealing, I'm concerned about monkeying with the WDH hitch (may need a custom part of extend the neck) and also if I'd really have clearance between the TV + bike rack and the TM when making tight turns. I have not yet measured this, but 5 bikes tightly packed together would have to be ~4ft. Tongue weight could also be an issue as I want to add a second battery there as well.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mike