View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Redsparow1

Default Farragut State Park, Athol, ID

We got another trip in the other day, Fall is definitely falling but we had a good time. This is a huge park, but everyone wanted to enjoy the weather, so they were at capacity when we arrived. We were put in their overflow area, I was so glad we were self contained, even though it was a hassle to open up to fill the water, then close up, then re-open to setup.

What:
Farragut State park is about 90 minutes outside Spokane in Idaho, 20 minutes from Silverwood amusement park.

Sites:
You can reserve the sites through https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/farragut . There are a full range of sites from primitive to utilities (water and electricity) and they range in price as well. You also have to pay a $5 a day vehicle fee, unless you have an Idaho parks pass. There are some very private spots that can be a bit tight to get into (Snowberry) and a more park like campground (Waldron).

Facilities:
There are numerous bathrooms and a bathhouse, but this is only open during the warmer months. There are also 3 - 18 Hole disc golf courses and a 9 hole course for kids (this was a blast). There are 3 dump sites and freshwater available. Waldron also has playgrounds, swings, and plenty of paved spaces for bikes. The park even has an RC airplane field, but you have to have insurance. There is also a swim area and boat launch. The rangers station sells firewood, disc golf discs, souvenirs, and locale specialties.

Local Area:
The area is beautiful, it borders the largest lake in Idaho. It is so deep the Navy has a small detachment that conducts sonar testing. The small town of Bay View, ID is just a few minutes away and offers picturesque views and a few small eateries. To the South is Athol and Cour D'Alene, which offer just about anything you could want.

Cell Service:
I had roaming coverage with both AT&T and Sprint.

Overall: We had a great time here, but felt lucky to get in. During the Fall and Winter it is walk up only and in the summer I was never able to get reservations. This place is a real gem and I want to go back, a must if you are anywhere in the area.
Redsparow1 is offline   Reply With Quote