View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
cochise

Default Here is my input...

I bought an ELKMONT having been told by Texas RV that the trailer only weighed 2500# with 320# on the tongue. In reality it weighed 3600# and about 600 on the tongue. TM explained to me that yes it was true and that I didn't understand how all this worked. So true. But now I do. TM openly advertises weights that are unrealistic, without explaining to their potential customers that there are "industry jargon" that one needs to understand in order to pick a trailer.

The Eurovan from 2003 has a listed towing capacity of 4400# with brakes. It also only has a 2.8 L V6. And the ELKMONT GVWR is listed (obscurely) as 4230#. So theoretically you should be able to pull it. BUT if your vehicle is a front wheel drive which I believe it is, BEWARE the 500-600# tongue weight will lift the front to a point where you will have trouble steering it and also traction will be a great concern. My first tow vehicle was a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.3 L V6 front wheel drive. I used 15k miles of rubber on the front pulling it from Cleburne TX (Texas RV) to Tucson AZ about 1000 miles total. I am now using a 2003 Silverado 4.3 L V6 with the tow package, tow trans and all.

So be very careful with that package.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote