View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Here is a tool that you may find helpful:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

It's important to read all of the terms and definitions on the website. It will help you make a more informed decision about the use of your TV.

The "Dry weight" of the Eurovan is 4300#. The problem with that is "Dry weight" may not include a lot of stuff in your actual van, especially if it has been converted in any way. It's important to have your entire rig weighed (all 3- axles) fully loaded for camping.

I you indeed have a GCWR of 10K# (not sure where you got that # ???) you would subtract the actual scale weight of your van to determine the weight that the van is rated to handle, including passengers, cargo and fuel.

Next, you must realize that your Elkmont will be far heavier than the dry weight when it is loaded for traveling. It would not be excessive to figure on an extra 1,000-1500# above "the dry" weight but again.....load it up for a trip and stop by the scales on your way out.

The thing that bothers me about the Elkmont is that the GVWR is only about 1250# higher than the "Dry weight". The dry weight does not include things like the A/C, electric tongue jack and any other accessories that may be included on your camper. You may find it challenging to keep the weight below 4000# on that trailer.

I don't think that anyone here will try to talk you into changing your TV. However, it is important that you understand the limits of your TV and where you stand with those limits. It may help you choose your destinations and/or driving habits accordingly. It will also help you better understand the importance of keeping the vehicle maintenance up and what that all entails.

The one thing that I would be very concerned about is the 4500# towing capacity of the Eurovan. My feeling is, this capacity may be with a "Factory installed" tow package. If you are certain that your tow package is factory installed, that could be a big difference. If you purchased the vehicle used and it had a trailer hitch, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is equipped for towing 4500#. Also, you must take into account that rating is determined on a "new" and does not include wear & tear. The ability of your TV may be radically different. I would strongly suspect that the Eurovan Owner's Manual may include verbiage like, "Subtract the weight of passengers and cargo from tow weight rating when vehicle is fully loaded for towing". That would mean that if your added weight to the "dry weight" of the van is 1500#, the tow rating would then be 3000# (if it is a factory installed tow pkg). If the actual "Scale weight" on your van is 6500# fully loaded (for instance) then your towing capacity would be 2300# (not accounting for wear & tear of the vehicle).

Does the Eurovan have a class IV trailer hitch? Does the Owner's Manual specify the use of a WDH?